As I get ready to embark on an online study with P31, titled The Best Yes, I wanted to share a gift from Lysa TerKeurst… hope her 10 Ways to Graciously Say No When You Feel Pressured to Say Yes, helps your personal, as well as professional life:
1. While my heart wants to say yes, yes, yes, the reality of my time makes this a no.
2. I am honored by your request but I’m in a season of refocusing my priorities and have committed not to add anything new right now.
3. After living at an unhealthy breakneck pace for too long, I’m learning to realistically assess my
capacity. Though I would love to say yes, the reality of my limitations means I must say no this time.
4. I so appreciate you asking me, but I must be brave and decline this opportunity. Saying no is hard for me but necessary in this season. Thank you for understanding.
5. I’ve promised my family not to add any new commitments to my schedule right now. Thank you for
our friendship that allows me to be honest with my realities.
6. Thank you for thinking of me. Your project sounds wonderful. However, as much as I would love to be involved, I can’t give your project the attention it deserves right now.
7. While I would love to connect about your new project, I’ve discovered this is one of those activities
I must give up while trying to ____________________ (write my book, start my business, stick to
my project, etc.) Saying yes would just enable my unhealthy habit of procrastination. Thank you for
understanding and helping me push through to the finish line.
8. There is nothing more that I love than helping others in my field get started. Unfortunately, I get
so many requests for this that I’m no longer able to meet in person. So, I’ve created this attached
document with my best advice. (Create a standard PDF for instances like this so you only have to type
out your advice one time.)
9. While I don’t have time for a lunch appointment, I’d love to connect for a few minutes over the phone. I can talk from 8-8:30 am.
10. Thank you so much for caring enough about me to want my involvement. Unfortunately, I’m not able to participate this time. But I’m certainly cheering for your continued success.
Photo by The Sunset Girl